The children's hospital and pediatric care ecosystem is perhaps the most complex in the healthcare industry, with pediatric providers facing all the same pressures adult health systems face, including an intense regulatory environment, declining inpatient utilization, cost escalation exceeding payment rate growth, inadequacy of electronic records and data analytics, aging physical plants and access to capital, difficulties of managing at-risk populations, and alignment challenges between hospitals and providers.
This whitepaper discusses:
- Four key premises for children's healthcare:
- Fertility, birth rates, and demographic shifts will yield limited growth
- Federal and state policies are favorable though not entirely stable
- Economic pressures will continue
- Market dynamics will drive contraction across the children's provider sector
- Imperatives for children's hospitals moving forward